A new $750 million vacation resort called Margaritaville Resort Orlando is being built along US 192 close to the junction with State Road 429, on the site of the former Splendid China attraction which closed in 2003. Originally the resort was expected to open in phases starting in early 2017 but it will be early 2018 before the first phase opens. The whole project is expected to be completed by 2022.
In July 2017 construction officially broke ground on the new Margaritaville Hotel Kissimmee and it will open around Thanksgiving 2018.
The Jimmy Buffet inspired resort will around cover 320 acres and feature:
- 4-star Margaritaville hotel with 187 rooms
- around 900 permanent and vacation rental homes, villas, cottages and condos with prices from $250,000 up to $1 million each
- 328 luxury timeshares units
- dining and entertainment district with 30,000 square feet of function space
- 190,00 square feet of dining/retail space
- wellness centre
- St. Somewhere Spa
- wedding pavilion
- Fin City amusement arcade
- Son of a Sailor fishing school
- wooded fitness trails
- 3 acre chlorinated freshwater swimming lagoon
- 45 acre lake
- paddle boarding, kayaking and snorkelling
- 12 acre themed water park with a beach
The resort is so large, you will be able to catch water taxis to get around.
The vacation cottages reflect the architecture of tropical locations like the Florida keys, the Caribbean islands of the Bahamas and Jamaica as well at coastal towns in the Carolinas. The designs offer one, two or three story properties painted in pastel shades with balconies, Adirondack chairs, window shutters and landscaped palm trees.
The themed water park will be open to the public as well as residents and will feature a dual Flowrider for boogie boarding and surfing.
Whilst there are already other Jimmy Buffett-branded Margaritaville hotels, this is the first destination resort of its kind. In Florida, there are Margaritaville hotels in Key West, Pensacola Beach and another at Hollywood Beach, north of Miami that opened in November 2016.
At this time there are no plans for a Margaritaville restaurant like the one at Universal CityWalk.
The adjacent Shoppes at Rolling Oaks have been rebranded as “SunsetWalk at Margaritaville Resort Orlando” offering 190,000 square feet of retail and dining space. The first phase will open in November 2018.
Tenants that have been announced so far include:
- Studio Movie Grill — a state-of-the-art 40,000 square foot cinema with 12 screens and over 1,000 luxury recliners. You can relax at the bar in the lobby before the show and order and enjoy American Grill food and drinks served at your seat at any time during the film
- GameTime — family entertainment centre with arcade games, simulators, a restaurant and sports bar with 60 TVs
- Rascal Flatts — restaurant, country music live entertainment, retails space and full-service bar from the country music group Rascal Flatts
- Rock & Brews — restaurant owned by Gene Simmons and Paul Stanley from the rock group KISS with a scratch kitchen and hundreds of craft beers on tap
Plus Avalon Day Spa, Bahama Bucks, BurgerFi, Café Rio, Cold Stone Creamery, Paradise Spirits and Wine and Sketchers.
In total there are nine Margaritaville hotels and timeshare resorts across the southern United States and the Caribbean plus 67 restaurants. The first restaurant opened in Key West in 1987.
There are also plans to build a 6,900 home retirement community in Daytona Beach to be known as Latitude Margaritaville, Daytona Beach.