Each year, Disney put on a series of Star Wars Weekends centred around the Star Tours attraction at Disney’s Hollywood Studios running from Fridays to Sundays over a few weekends in late May to early June.
Each weekend (Friday to Sunday) there is an opportunity to see Star Wars actors and movie makers through a series of meet and greet sessions, conversations and motorcades. Admission to Star Wars Weekends is included in the normal admission price.
For 2015 the event runs over five weekends (previously they were four weekends):
- May 15 to May 17, 2015
- May 22 to May 24, 2015
- May 29 to May 31, 2015
- June 5 to June 7, 2015
- June 12 to June 14, 2015
The weekends celebrate the legendary Star Wars story and the animated television series, Star Wars: The Clone Wars. A number of Star Wars actors and characters attend each day and the host for 2015 is James Arnold Taylor who played the voice of Obi-Wan Kenobi in Star Wars: The Clone Wars.
For the first time ever, in 2014 Mark Hamill who played Luke Skywalker Disney in the original Star Wars trilogy made an appearance.
You can have a memento signed by one of the Star Wars celebrities who are attending the event. This year they can be found at a new indoor location near to Star Tours - The Adventures Continue.
For the youngsters there is a chance to take part in the Jedi Training Academy where you can test your skills against Darth Vader and Darth Maul and test your wits at the Padawan Mind Challenge.
A great place to see many of the characters is at the “Legends of the Force” motorcade and at the end of each day at the Hyperspace Hoopla it is fun to watch Ewoks, Wookiees, stormtroopers and Jawas singing and dancing in a comedy routine.
A special shop called Darth’s Mall, featuring a galaxy of Star Wars collectibles is located at a new larger location near to the Streets of America.
You can also visit Tatooine Traders to build and name your own Astromech droid action figure at the Droid Factory or buy other limited edition Star Wars memorabilia.
Star Wars Weekends Character Dining
Special Star Wars character dining was first introduced in 2014. For 2015 you can choose:
- Rebel Hangar: A Star Wars Lounge Experience - Star Wars inspired food and beverages, available on select dates only at the Backlot Express Lounge
- Star Wars Dine-In Galactic character breakfast at the Sci-Fi Dine-In Theater Restaurant with Darth Vader, Boba Fett, Greedo, Jawas and Stormtroopers. Available from May 4 to June 14 ($49.99 for adults and $31.99 for children)
- Jedi Mickey’s Star Wars Dine lunch/dinner at Hollywood and Vine with Jedi Mickey, Princess Leia Minnie, Darth Vader Goofy, Storm Trooper Donald and Ewoks Chip ‘n’ Dale. Available from May 4 to June 14 ($57.99 for adults and $34.99 for children)
- Jedi Mickey’s Star Wars Dine and Fantasmic Package at Hollywood and Vine - dinner at the Hollywood and Vine followed by reserved seating for the Fantasmic show. Available from May 4 to June 14 ($63.99 for adults and $38.99 for children)
Unlike the main event which is only on at weekends, some of the special character dining is available every day between May 4 and June 15 and includes a free photograph plus meet-and-greet opportunities. Reservations are recommended.
Star Wars Feel The Force Dining Event
As well as character dining, 2014 also saw the introduction of a special VIP Feel The Force Premium Package which was only available during the Friday to Sunday weekend events.
For 2015 there are two versions of the package; the Feel The Force Premium Package ($69 per adult and $39 per child) and the Feel The Force Deluxe Premium Package ($99 per adult and $64 per child). Prices include tax and gratuities.
With both packages you get:
- reserved viewing area to watch the Legends of the Force: Star Wars Celebrity Motorcade with complimentary soft drinks, water and snacks
- reserved seating for one of the Celebrity Talk Shows in the Theater of the Stars
- reserved viewing area to watch the evening fireworks display and feast on Darth Vader cupcakes and both alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages at the “Symphony in the Stars” Fireworks Dessert Party
With the Feel The Force Deluxe Premium Package you also get:
- reserved seating for all of the Celebrity Talk Shows in the Theater of the Stars
- priority access to Darth’s Mall
- a commemorative lanyard and certificate
In 2012, Disney introduced the Carbon-Freeze Me Experience where you could buy a special model of yourself frozen in carbonite, taken from a scene in The Empire Strikes Back where Hans Solo is frozen.
New for 2013 was a personalised Stormtrooper figurine. A 3D face scanner is used to generate your likeness and then an individual model is made using a high resolution 3D printer.
For 2014, there are two new figurines plus the original Carbon-Freeze Me and Stormtrooper. The new figurines are of the Alderaan Princess and an X-Wing Pilot. Both the Alderaan Princess and Carbon-Freeze Me figurines will also be available for children.
As well as the original sized figurines you can now also buy a much larger 16 inch model but with a hefty price tag.
Reservations are required by calling 407-WDW-TECH (407–939–8324) with a valid credit card. Minimum age is 3 years and children must be accompanied by an adult, at least 18 or older. Note that there is a cancellation fee if you cancel less than 48 hours before your time slot or do not show up.
The models are not made while you wait and you can expect a 7–8 week delivery time (longer for international orders).
The smaller figurines all cost $99.95 plus shipping and tax whilst the larger figurines cost $1,499.95 plus shipping and tax. You also receive either a collectors button or a Carbon-Freeze Me light up wristband.