There are a number of aircraft and aviation museums in Florida and the first indication of this might be the sight of a giant Vietnam era Boeing B–52D Stratofortress displayed at the B–52 Memorial Park at Orlando International Airport.
UPDATE - The Flying Tigers Museum in Kissimmee has closed and has moved to Douglas in Georgia following severe damage from Hurricane Charley
If you are at all interested in military warbirds or home built aircraft, want to fly in a vintage aircraft or helicopter or even learn how to restore old aeroplanes, then Florida is the place to be.
Florida has several museums which have been responsible for the recovery and rebuilding of a number of historic aircraft, particularly from the Second World War period.
With the help of their teams, they have restored dozens of old warbirds including bombers like the B–17 Flying Fortress, B–24 Liberator and B–25 Mitchell plus fighters like the P–51 Mustang and P–38 Lightning.
If you are in the Panhandle region of Florida, then there are two excellent air museums in the area; namely the National Museum of Naval Aviation in Pensacola and the Air Force Armament Museum at Eglin Air Force Base.
The aircraft museums of Florida do seem to have suffered from some of the recent hurricanes (the Flying Tigers Museum in Kissimmee and the Naval Air Museum at Pensacola Naval Air Station have both been damaged recently) so it is always worthwhile checking with the museum before making a special visit.
Main Florida Air Museums
- Air Commandos Memorial Air Park, Hurlburt Field
- DeLand Naval Air Station Museum, DeLand
- Fantasy of Flight, Polk City
- Florida Air Museum, Lakeland Linder Regional Airport (formerly called Sun ’n Fun Museum)
- Flying Tigers Warbird Restoration Museum, Kissimmee (now closed)
- Kissimmee Air Museum, Kissimmee Gateway Airport
- National Museum of Naval Aviation, N.A.S. Pensacola
- U.S. Air Force Armament Museum, Eglin AFB
- Valiant Air Command, Titusville Space Coast Regional Airport
- Wings over Miami Air Museum, Kendall-Tamiami Executive Airport
You will also find aircraft and other military hardware on display at a number of Memorial parks throughout the state.