American Dream Miami
By James | Last updated August 23, 2023
This page may contain compensated affiliate links. Please read the Disclaimer for more information
A Canadian company, the Triple Five Group is proposing to build a $4 billion 6.2 million square foot mega mall, entertainment complex and amusement park, to be called American Dream Miami, on a green field site near Miami Lakes and Hialeah where Interstate 75 and the Florida Turnpike meet.
The project took a step closer in January 2017 when preliminary approval was granted by Miami-Dade commissioners. Next the state in Tallahassee need to vote on the development plans, probably in April or May.
Triple Five also own the giant West Edmonton Mall (currently the largest in North America) as well as the Minnesota Mall of America and they are projecting 30 million visitors a year to the Miami mall. If given the go-ahead, American Dream Miami would become the largest mall in the Western Hemisphere, covering around 200 acres.
Preliminary plans show that as well 3.5 million square foot of retail space with five anchor stores there will also be a number of entertainment attractions, mostly indoors:
- 2,000 luxury hotel rooms and a condominium tower
- a luxury 16 screen cinema
- a performing arts theatre
- a sports centre
- artificial ski slope
- full sized ice skating rink offering figure skating and ice hockey
- a 370,000 square foot climate controlled theme park covered by a glass dome
- a 370,000 square foot water park with 20 water slides and an artificial beach
- sea lion show
- Art Deco village with gourmet restaurants and Tivoli gardens
- flower court
- bowling alley and billiards hall
- a 7 acre salt water lagoon with artificial reef and offering miniature submarine rides, water skiing and boating
- miniature adventure golf course
- outdoor fishing centre
The indoor ski slope will be the largest indoor slope in the world at 16 stories tall covering 200,000 square foot with 800 feet of artificial snow slopes.
Triple Five took over the stalled Xanadu mall in New Jersey in 2010, now renamed as American Dreams Meadowlands and have partnered with both DreamWorks and Merlin Entertainment. It is likely some elements of that project might find themselves in Miami, such as an observation wheel, Sea Life Aquarium and a mini LEGOLAND theme park.
Just south of the proposed American Dream Miami complex is a second large proposed building complex to be called the Graham Project which could bring a mix of retail, housing and a business park.
Florida Theme Parks
Theme Park Ticket Guides