The fantastic weather means that Florida hosts a large number of air shows, fly-ins and hot air balloon festivals, many of which are free to attend, especially the beach air shows. The air show season in Florida typically runs from mid January to November with most shows in either the spring or the autumn (fall).
A complete schedule of upcoming air shows and hot air balloon festivals in Florida for 2022 and 2023 can be found below.
You will also find details of vintage air tours that often visit Florida, the air museums that also host air shows and the aerobatic display teams that perform in Florida.
Complete List of Florida Air Shows in 2022 and 2023 at a glance
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, many airshows in 2020 and 2021 were cancelled or postponed but the 2022 season has filled up though there are still a few cancellations
Click links (opens on a new page) for more details on Florida air show ticket prices, schedules and appearances.
|Dates||Florida Air Show Name||Location|
|January 20-February 20, 2022||EAA Ford Tri-Motor Tour||Various Florida locations|
|February 13, 2022||Daytona 500 Flyover (USAF Thunderbirds)||Daytona International Speedway|
|March 4-6, 2022||The Villages Balloon Festival 2022||The Villages Polo Club|
|March 12-13, 2022||St. Augustine Hot Air Balloon Festival||St. Johns County Fairgrounds, Elkton|
|March 19, 2022||Gator Fly In and Armed Services Appreciation Day||Gainesville Regional Airport|
|March 26-27, 2022||MacDill AFB Tampa Bay AirFest 2022||MacDill Air Force Base|
|April 2-3, 2022||NAS Key West Southernmost Air Spectacular - POSTPONED UNTIL 2023||NAS Key West|
|April 5-10, 2022||48th Sun 'n Fun Aerospace Expo||Lakeland Linder Regional Airport|
|April 8-10, 2022||New Smyrna Beach Balloon Glow||New Smyrna Beach Municipal Airport|
|April 9-10, 2022||Wings Over Homestead ARB - POSTPONED UNTIL 2023||Homestead ARB|
|April 15, 2022||South West Florida Balloon Festival||Bonita Springs|
|April 15-17, 2022||Gator Classic Balloon Festival||Williston Municipal Airport|
|April 29-May 1, 2022||Tampa Bay Balloon Festival||Tampa Bay|
|April 30-May 1, 2022||Vero Beach Air Show 2022||Vero Beach Regional Airport|
|April 30-May 1, 2022||Fort Lauderdale Air Show 2022||Fort Lauderdale Beach|
|May 6-8, 2022||Up Up and Away Florida Hot Air Balloon Festival||Lakeland Linder Regional Airport|
|May 11-15, 2022||AirPower History Tour||Daytona Beach Airport|
|May 21-22, 2022||Space Coast International Air Show 2022||Space Coast Regional Airport, Titusville|
|May 28-29, 2022||Hyundai Air & Sea Show 2022||South Beach, Miami Beach|
|June 10-13, 2022||Tallahassee Balloon Festival 2022||Tallahassee|
|July 9-10, 2022||Pensacola Beach Air Show 2022||Pensacola Beach|
|October 7-10, 2022||Tampa International Balloon Festival||ZooTampa, Tampa|
|October 22-23, 2022||NAS Jacksonville Air Show - Birthplace of the Blue Angels||NAS Jacksonville|
|October 29-30, 2022||Central Florida Air and Space Show||Orlando Sanford International Airport|
|November 4-6, 2022||Jacksonville Balloon Glow||Jacksonville|
|November 11-12, 2022||NAS Pensacola Open House, Blue Angels Homecoming Air Show||Sherman Field, NAS Pensacola|
|November 11-13, 2022||Stuart Air Show 2022||Witham Field, Stuart|
|November 11-13, 2022||Pensacola Balloon Glow||Pensacola|
|November 18-20, 2022||Charlotte County Balloon Glow||Charlotte County|
|November 25-27, 2022||Brevard County Balloon Glow||Brevard County|
|December 1-4, 2022||Orlando Balloon Glow||Orlando|
|December 9-11, 2022||West Palm Beach Balloon Glow||West Palm Beach|
|December 16-18, 2022||Panama City Beach Balloon Glow||Panama City Beach|
|February 3-4, 2023||The Villages Balloon Festival 2023||The Villages Polo Club|
|February 19, 2023||Daytona 500 Flyover (USAF Thunderbirds)||Daytona International Speedway|
|March 25, 2023||Gator Fly In and Armed Services Appreciation Day||Gainesville Regional Airport|
|March 28-April 2, 2023||49th Sun 'n Fun Aerospace Expo||Lakeland Linder Regional Airport|
|April 1-2, 2023||Wings Over Homestead ARB||Homestead ARB|
|April 15-16, 2023||NAS Key West Southernmost Air Spectacular||NAS Key West|
|April 22-23, 2023||Cocoa Beach Air Show||Cocoa Beach|
|April 29-30, 2023||Fort Lauderdale Air Show 2023||Fort Lauderdale Beach|
|May 27-28, 2023||Hyundai Air & Sea Show 2023||South Beach, Miami Beach|
|July 8-9, 2023||Pensacola Beach Air Show 2023||Pensacola Beach|
|October 21-22, 2023||Jacksonville Sea and Sky Airshow 2023||Jacksonville Beach|
|October 28-29, 2023||Central Florida Air and Space Show||Orlando Sanford International Airport|
|November 3-4, 2023||NAS Pensacola Open House, Blue Angels Homecoming Air Show||Sherman Field, NAS Pensacola|
|November 4-5, 2023||Florida International Air Show||Charlotte County Airport, Punta Gorda|
Key: TBC - To be confirmed.
Vintage Air Tours in Florida
Though not air shows as such, there are a number of vintage and warbirds aircraft tours that often visit Florida in the spring. Over the space of a couple of months they visit a number of regional airports throughout the state.
This is an opportunity to see real vintage and World War II aircraft in flight rather than just as static museum exhibits. For a fee, you can often get a ride in one of them.
- Wings of Freedom Tour by the Collings Foundation
- Commemorative Air Force (CAF) AirPower History Tour
- Experimental Aircraft Association (EAA) Aluminium Overcast Tour
- Experimental Aircraft Association (EAA) Ford-Tri-Motor Tour
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, none of the vintage air tours came to Florida in 2021.
Air Shows at Florida Air Museums
A couple of Florida’s air museums like the Valiant Air Command at Titusville (Space Coast Warbird Airshow, formerly TICO Warbird Airshow) and the Florida Air Museum in Lakeland (Sun 'n Fun Fly-In and Convention) host annual air shows each Spring.
In October 2019 the Board of Directors of the Valiant Air Command museum voted on cost grounds to postpone the 43rd Space Coast Warbird Airshow to 2021 so there was no Space Coast Warbird Airshow in 2020. In the end this was cancelled as well and it now looks like it has been replaced by the Space Coast International Air Show
The nearby Fantasy of Flight museum at Polk City used to offer daily (Thursday through Sunday) aerial demonstrations subject to the weather but they shut the main museum to the general public on April 6, 2014 and are currently operating a seasonal interim museum with joy rides in vintage biplanes on the days the museum is open. There are plans to re-open as a much larger and more aviation themed attraction in the future.
Air Demonstration Teams visiting Florida in 2022 and 2023
Two of America’s top military aerobatic display teams, the United States Air Force Thunderbirds flying Lockheed (General Dynamics) F-16 Fighting Falcons and the United States Navy Blue Angels flying Boeing (McDonnell Douglas) F/A-18E/F Super Hornets regularly perform at some of Florida’s Air Shows.
Whilst the Thunderbirds are based at Nellis AFB in Nevada, the Blue Angels are actually based at NAS Pensacola in Florida’s Panhandle.
Note that when airshows run over several days, teams like the Thunderbirds and the Blue Angels do not necessarily perform on every day. It is always best to check with the airshow organisers.
United States Navy Blue Angels
The Blue Angels have now transitioned to the larger F/A-18E/F Super Hornets supported by a “new” C-130J Super Hercules.
In May 2019 the original Lockheed C-130T Hercules affectionately known as ‘Fat Albert’ was retired as it had reached the end of its service life and has been replaced by an ex Royal Air Force C-130J Super Hercules.
In 2022 their show schedule includes the following Florida air shows:
- Tampa Bay AirFest — March 26–27
- Vero Beach Air Show — April 30-May 1
- Pensacola Beach Air Show — July 9
- NAS JAX Air Show — October 22–23
- Blue Angels Homecoming Air Show in Pensacola — November 11–12
In 2023 they are due to appear at the following Florida air shows:
- Sun 'n Fun Aerospace Expo in Lakeland — April 1–2
- NAS Key West Southernmost Air Spectacular — April 15–16
- Fort Lauderdale Air Show — April 29–30
- Pensacola Beach Air Show — July 8
- Jacksonville Sea and Sky Air Show — October 21–23
- Blue Angels Homecoming Air Show in Pensacola — November 3–4
When the Blue Angels are ‘at home’ they often perform practice sessions that are open to the public typically between March and October. There is even a chance to grab an autograph.
Their full display schedule and practice sessions calendar can be found on their website.
United States Air Force Thunderbirds
The Thunderbirds are yet to announce their full 2022 and 2023 air show schedule, so far during 2022 the Thunderbirds will appear at the following Florida air shows:
- Sun 'n Fun Aerospace Expo in Lakeland — April 9–10
- Fort Lauderdale Air Show — April 30-May 1
- Central Florida Air and Space Show in Sanford — October 29–30
They also have a tradition of doing a fly past at the Daytona International Speedway for the annual Daytona 500 in February.
Provisional dates for 2023 include:
- Wings Over Homestead ARB — April 1–2
- Cocoa Beach Air Show — April 22–23
- Central Florida Air and Space Show in Sanford — October 28–29
- Florida International Air Show in Punta Gorda — November 4–5
United States Parachute Teams
As well as aerial demonstration teams there are also a number of military parachute teams including the United States Army Golden Knights, United States Navy Leap Frogs and United States Special Operation Command (SOCOM) Para-Commandos.
Other International Teams
The Canadian Snowbirds Demonstration Team fly the Canadair Tutor CT-114 and sometimes venture south. In 2012 they appeared at the Wings and Waves Air Show at Daytona Beach, in 2016 at the Fort Lauderdale Air Show and in 2017 they returned to the Fort Lauderdale Air Show. They are making a welcome return to Florida in 2022.
In 2022 their show schedule includes one Florida air show:
- Space Coast International Air Show, Titusville in May
In 2017, the French national display team, The Patrouille de France, flying 8 Alpha Jet trainers made a rare USA appearance and displayed at both the Melbourne Air & Space Show and Sun’n Fun Fly-In in April.
In 2019 the British Red Arrows display team, took part in a North American tour but did not display in Florida.
The British Army Red Devils Parachute Regiment are appearing in 2022.
Single Ship and Legacy Demo Teams
As well as the Air Demonstration formation teams, there are also a number of U.S. military service demo teams drawn from the U.S. Army, U.S. Air Force, U.S. Navy, U.S. Marine Corps and U.S. Coast Guard.
U.S. Air Force Air Combat Command single ship demonstration teams operate in the USA and regularly attend the various Florida airshows. These include:
- A-10 “Thunderbolt II” Demo Team — the Fairchild Republic A-10 Thunderbolt II, also known as the “Warthog” was specifically designed as a close air support aircraft and is built around a 7 barrel Gatling type 30 mm GAU-8 Avenger rotary cannon firing 3,900 rounds per minute.
- F-16 “Viper” Demo Team — the Lockheed F-16CM Fighting Falcon “Viper” is a single-seat, multi-role fighter that can exceed speeds of Mach 2.
- F-22 “Raptor” Demonstration Flight Team — the Lockheed Martin F-22A Raptor is a twin engined fifth generation stealth fighter equipped with thrust vectoring offering amazing manoeuvrability and speeds in excess of Mach 2 and can fly at Mach 1.5 without resorting to afterburners
- F-35 “Lightning II” Demo Team — Lockheed Martin F-35A Lightning II is a single engined multirole, all-weather air-to-air and surface attack stealth fighter
The single ship demo teams often team up with warbirds from the U.S. Air Force Heritage Flight (HF) who operate vintage aircraft from World War II, Korea and the Vietnam era like:
- North American P-51 Mustang
- North American F-86 Sabre
- Lockheed P-38 Lightning
- Curtis P-40 Warhawk
- Republic P-47 Thunderbolt
- Douglas A-1 Skyraider
As well as fighter aircraft, the U.S. Air Force also operate a heavy lift Boeing C-17 Globemaster III demo team.
The U.S. Navy also operate a Legacy Flight where they fly twin ship formations combining frontline fighters with warbirds again from World War II, Korea and Vietnam.
Frontline aircraft include:
- Beechcraft T-6 Texan II
- Boeing EA-18G Growler
- Boeing F/A-18G Super Hornet
- Lockheed Martin F-35C Legacy II
- McDonnell Douglas F/A-18C/D Hornet
- McDonnell Douglas TA-45 Goshawk
Warbird aircraft include:
- Beechcraft T-34 Mentor
- Curtiss SB2C Helldiver
- Douglas AD-4 Skyraider
- Douglas A-4B Skyhawk
- Douglas TA-4J Skyhawk
- Goodyear FG-1D Corsair
- North American SNJ Texan
- North American T-2 Buckeye
- North American T-28 Trojan
Florida Air Show Team Appearances in 2022
For 2022, air show performers include:
- MacDill AFB Tampa Bay AirFest — Blue Angels, F-22, C-17, KC-135, Para-Commandos
- Sun 'n Fun Fly-In and Convention, Lakeland — Thunderbirds, C-17, F-22
- Vero Beach Air Show — Blue Angels, Aeroshell Aerobatic Team
- Fort Lauderdale Air Show, Fort Lauderdale — Thunderbirds, A-10, SOCOM Para-Commandos
- Space Coast International Air Show — Snowbirds, F-22, SOCOM Para-Commandos, Heritage Flight
- Hyundai Air & Sea Show — F-15, F-16, A-10, B-2, B-52, KC-135, C-17, C-130, C-145, HH-60, CH-53, Golden Knights, Black Daggers, Red Devils, Special Ops Beach Invasion
- Pensacola Beach Air Show — Blue Angels
- NAS Jacksonville Air Show — Blue Angels, F-35, SOCOM Para-Commandos
- Orlando Air and Space Show — Thunderbirds, F-18
- Blue Angels Homecoming Air Show — Blue Angels, A-10, P-51
- Stuart Air Show — F-16, P-51
As well as aerobatic and demo teams, all airshows also have a number of ground based displays including both modern and vintage aircraft and warbirds.
Florida Air Show Ticket Prices
Some airshows offer free admission and free parking, typically some of those on military bases like the Tampa Bay AirFest at MacDill AFB and some beach airshows like the Pensacola Beach Air Show.
Others charge an admission fee that may or may not include parking, though you can often get a discount if you purchase online in advance, especially with “early bird” discounts. Just follow the individual links in the list of events above to check on ticket prices.
Remember that sitting or standing outside in the Florida sunshine for hours and hours can be a bit overwhelming but many air shows offer VIP areas where you can relax in the shade. Don’t forgot to make sure you are properly hydrated.
Avid photographers can often pay to access special flight line areas sometimes with bleacher style raised seating.
Shows like Sun ’n Fun even offer camping for RVs or tents as well as aircraft camping for visiting aircraft.
This information is correct to the best of our knowledge but you should always check with the show organisers before making a trip as air shows sometimes get cancelled or rescheduled.
If you do have any corrections or additions to the list of Florida air shows and hot air balloon festivals noted above, please do not hesitate to contact us. Last updated: August 8, 2022.