Universals Islands of Adventure Tourist Guide
By James | Last updated November 24, 2023
This page may contain compensated affiliate links. Please read the Disclaimer for more information
Universals Islands of Adventure draws its inspiration from a number of different sources with cutting edge entertainment including a number of world class roller coasters and high-tech motion simulators. It continues to lead the way with some of the most thrilling theme park rides in all of Florida.
Our top tip for saving on Universal Studios Orlando Tickets
For the best prices, you will want to compare a few sites. Tickets are available through Universal Studios authorized ticket reseller Orlando Vacation, Undercover Tourist, and the official Universal Studios site. It’s definitely worth comparing the day prices of all the sites as often the resellers are cheaper!
It opened in 1999 and compliments its next door neighbor Universal Studios Florida. If you want to park hop then it really is just a hop, skip and a jump between the two parks; a five to ten minute walk from the main entrance or the newly opened Hogwarts “Express” train ride between the two Harry Potter inspired lands.
Islands of Adventure consists of seven interconnected islands plus an entrance area located around a central lake, the Great Inland Sea. The layout means that each island is quite distinct with its own theming and background music. Whilst Islands of Adventure does not have any parades, there are meet-and-greet opportunities. Particularly with some of the Marvel characters on the streets of Marvel Super Hero Island.
Universals Islands of Adventure Attractions
Like Universal Studios Florida, the central water area means you have to navigate from one land to the next in either a clockwise or anti-clockwise direction. Bridges connect each island to its immediate neighbour. Travelling in a clockwise direction:
- Port of Entry – Confisco Grille, one of two full service restaurants in the park. There’s also stroller, wheelchair and ECV rentals, lockers, Lost and Found, Guest Services and First Aid
- Marvel Super Hero Island – a comic book world populated by The Amazing Adventures of Spiderman simulator ride, Doctor Doom’s Fearfall, The Incredible Hulk Coaster and Storm Force Acceleration
- Toon Lagoon – very wet cartoon inspired attractions including the log flume ride Dudley Do-Right’s Ripsaw Falls and Popeye & Bluto’s Bilge-Rat Barges
- Skull Island – still under construction, Skull Island will be home to the newest attraction, Skull Island: Reign of Kong
- Jurassic Park – straight from the set of the film. There’s the Jurassic Park Discovery Center, Jurassic Park River Adventure, Raptor Encounter and Pteranodon Flyers
- The Wizarding World of Harry Potter – Hogsmeade – the island which was built in 2010. It has been described as a “theme park within a park” and was on part of the existing Lost Continent. It includes a replica of Hogsmeade village and Hogwarts Castle. There’s also the Flight of the Hippogriff, the new state-of-the-art ride and Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey. From here you can transfer to Universal Studios Florida by riding on the Hogwarts “Express”. You need to have a park-to-park ticket for this.
- The Lost Continent – a lost city with two shows; Poseidon’s Fury and The Eighth Voyage of Sinbad
- Seuss Landing – aimed at children including an interactive play area If I Ran The Zoo and The Cat In The Hat.
Eating and Shopping at Islands of Adventure
Like Universal Studios Florida, Islands of Adventure also offers a range of full table service and fast-food quick self service restaurants. There’s also seasonal kiosks dotted throughout the park. Mythos is probably one of the best full service restaurants you’ll find in any of Florida’s theme parks.
If you like a lot of fast-food, then you could consider the Universal Meal Deal which gives you “as-much-as-you-can-eat” at selected quick-service restaurants.
Throughout the park you will find merchandising relevant to the area you are currently in plus the large Islands of Adventure Trading Company at the front entrance.
Islands of Adventure Park Tickets
You can buy single day or multi-day park tickets to Universal’s Islands of Adventure with or without the option to park hop to Universal Studios Florida.
Getting to Islands of Adventure
To reach Islands of Adventure, you park in the multi-level parking garage. Moving sidewalks lead you to the Central hub. From here, you pass through the CityWalk entertainment area and then continue straight ahead is Islands of Adventure.
If instead you turn sharp right you enter Universal Studios Florida, Universal’s other theme park.